Environmental Responsibility Awareness
Environmental responsibilities include environmental requirements (legal/regulatory) and environmental commitments (social expectations or measures and tasks agreed to as a condition of settlement or authorization to perform work). Once made aware of an environmental responsibility, it is the duty of each employee to act upon the received information. Received information may involve real or potential changes to responsibilities that could affect ALDOT. Employee action will range from simple internal notification of the responsibility change to the Office of Environmental Coordination to implementing physical changes to ALDOT processes in the employee’s area of work.
The Office of Environmental Coordination (OEC) actively monitors the environmental responsibilities of ALDOT. The Office actively engages internal and external environmental stakeholders to ensure that ALDOT’s interests are properly represented and that environmental responsibilities are properly addressed internally.
The Office of Environmental Coordination communicates with appropriate staff resources to provide information regarding changes to external expectations and regulatory requirements. Further communication and coordination to ensure that known responsibilities are adequately addressed is the responsibility of those charged with managing each area of environmental responsibility.
Environmental responsibilities (requirements and commitments) must be communicated through all phases of construction and management of ALDOT facilities. Phases include planning, design, construction and maintenance. ALDOT facilities include public transportation facilities (roads, bridges, etc.) and internal support facilities (buildings, grounds, etc.)
Quality control and quality assurance are significant elements of this measure and are achieved through several assigned offices and bureaus.
All bureaus and offices are responsible for identifying environmental training opportunities and ensuring that appropriate training is made available to appropriate employees.
Resources assigned to Tasks related to this environmental measure are responsible for the creation, maintenance, communication and execution of policies associated with this measure as well as quality control, quality assurance and internal reporting.
- Monitoring environmental responsibility changes that concern ALDOT
- Communication of general environmental responsibilities to staff resources
- Monitoring environmental responsibility changes that concern specific areas of operation
- Communication of general environmental responsibilities to specific areas of operation and to the Office of Environmental Coordination
- Communication of facility construction project-specific responsibilities from planning to design
- Communication of transportation facility construction project-specific responsibilities from design to construction and contract
- Communication of post construction responsibilities related to project-specific pre-construction commitments to those responsible for facility management
- Identification of environmental training opportunities
- Review/endorsement of environmental training opportunities
- General environmental training approval and coordination
- Specific environmental training approval and coordination
- Internal reporting