To qualify for erection of an "ATTRACTION" business logo on a Specific Service Sign a facility must meet the following conditions:
- Located not more than 15 miles from the Interstate (or other selected) highway via an all weather road.
- Continuous operation at least eight (8) hours per day, six (6) days per week or forty-eight (48) hours per week. Seasonal operation of one-hundred (100) days per year, six (6) hours per day, will be considered continuous operation. Masking is required for seasonal operation unless specified otherwise herein.
- Attendants and/or tour conductor on site during operating hours.
- Restroom facilities available and suitable for public use.
- Drinking water available and suitable for public use.
- Public telephone.
- Adequate parking to accommodate the facility's traffic with a minimum of ten (10) spaces.
Must be an activity or location that is one (1) or more of the following categories:
(1) Natural Beauty/Phenomena
(2) Historic Site
- A natural phenomenon is limited to features created by nature. Examples include but are not limited to unusual rock formations, caves, fossil beds, and waterfalls.
- Areas of natural or scenic beauty that are of outstanding interest to the general public including State or National Parks, wilderness areas, mountain ranges, bays, lakes, rivers, canyons, and similar areas.
(3) Cultural Site/Museum
- A historic site is limited to a structure or site that is of definite historical significance as determined by the Alabama Historical Commission and/or listed in the National Register of Historical Places. The site must be of State and/or National significance. It must be opened to the public for regularly scheduled daily tours. Self-guided tours are permissible if attendants are on site.
(4) Educational Site
- A cultural site is limited to any facility for the performing arts, exhibits, or concerts that is open to all age groups.
- A museum is limited to a facility, open to the public at least one hundred (100) days per year, in which works of artistic, historical, or scientific value are cared for and exhibited to the public.
(5) Recreation Site
- Zoological or Botanical Park - A facility in which living animals, insects, or plants are kept and exhibited to the public.
- Winery or Brewery – A licensed site which produces a minimum of five hundred (500) gallons of wind and/or beer per year, produced commercially packaged for off-premise sales. Open to public for tours a minimum of three hundred twenty (320) hours per year and provides an educational format for informing visitors about wine and beer processing.
- Facility Tour Location – A facility such as a factory, institution, or plant, which conducts regularly, scheduled daily public tours year-round.
- Science Centers offering a state-of-the-art learning environment such as quality educational programs, hands-on type exhibits, theater presentations, etc., which is open to all age groups.
- Recreational Area – An area that offers four (4) or more of the following activities: Cycling, boating, camping, fishing, hiking, skating, picnicking, swimming, field sports, horseback riding, rock climbing.
- Amusement Park – A permanent area which is open to the general public for three (3) or more of the following activities: Picnicking, water activities, entertainment rides, live shows, food services, etc., in operation more than three (3) months per year.
- Golf Course – A facility open to the public and offering at least nine (9) holes of play. Miniature golf courses, driving ranges, chip-and-putt courses, and indoor golf shall not be eligible.
- Arena – A stadium, sports complex, auditorium, fairground, or civic or convention center which has a capacity of at least five thousand (5,000) seats and is holding events on at least twenty-eight (28) days of the year.
Attractions that do not qualify under any category (more info)
- Flea Markets, Trade Days, Junkyards, Yard Sales, Etc.
- Primary Retail Center, Outlet Malls, Shopping Centers, Etc.
- Any facility or site currently signed as a Supplemental Guide Sign Location (See MUTCD Sec. 2E ).
- Any facility which is not open to the traveling public or motorists per On-Demand basis. (On-Demand basis shall be the non-reservation accommodation of drop-in visitors. Exceptions are scheduled tours/ showings, tee times, etc).
NOTE: For non-profit Attractions participating in the Specific Service Signing Program, the Alabama Department of Transportation will waive one-half (1/2) of the amount of the annual fees.